Skinny Jeans for Men? We have a Hung Jury

by Andrea Mulder-Slater

My husband called to me from the fitting rooms at The Gap.

"What do you think?" he asked. I looked him up and down. The shirt was a lovely shade of blue -- baby blue. It looked quite smart and fit him well. "I like the shirt." I said as I started to shift my gaze lower.

"The pants," he said, "what about the pants?"

What about the pants...

This was a loaded question - in more ways than one. The pants you see, were snug. Not snug as in too tight, but snug as in slim fitting. Now, I'm a hip and fashionably aware kind of girl. I know that skinny jeans are in. I know this to be so because fellas like Pete Wentz, Zac Efron and all of the Jonas brothers are wearing them.


What I also know is that my Geoff is a baggy pants kind of guy. At least, he used to be. Heck, even his underpants are baggy. So it was with some surprise that the man was considering a pair of cream color, cigarette leg corduroy jeans.

“I don’t like them.” I said, mindful of the fact that the store clerk was watching our exchange. “They look... weird.” Really what I was thinking was – you know how on your rear view mirrors, there’s a notice that says objects in mirror are closer than they appear? Well, objects in skinny jeans appear larger than they appear in baggy jeans.

You get the picture.

In spite of my opinion, Geoff decided to buy the skinny jeans and felt justified when the middle Jonas-Brother-look-a-like behind the counter informed him that he wouldn’t be caught dead in baggy pants.

Later, at home, my husband paraded the skinny jeans in front of me. "They look good with flip-flops, don’t you think?" he asked me on day one. “They look good with this t-shirt, don’t they?” he queried on day two.


It’s been a few days now and I think I might actually like the skinny jeans. The skinny jeans have put a spell on me. I’m convinced of this. Now I find myself thinking they make Geoff look artsy – stylish and cool. Like one of Beatles, only athletic and without a turtle-bowl haircut.

Objects in the skinny jeans still appear larger than objects in the baggy jeans but hey, if anyone can pull off a look like that, it’s my Geoff. Then again, maybe I’m just too weary to care. Breastfeeding will do that to a girl.

No, really.

Meanwhile: According to theinsider.com: Though skinny jeans look great, doctors say they can be dangerous for our health. According to some experts tight jeans might cause a nerve problem called meralgia paresthetica.

Update: The skinny jeans phase didn't last more than a few months.

Image 1: The Jonas Brothers - not my husband.
Image 2: My husband - not a Jonas Brother.