Turn Yourself Around...

by Andrea Mulder-Slater

It's New Year's Eve and I just can't help but string through a long list of resolutions in my head.

It's a sickness.

I don't drink or smoke -- so quitting those vices is not an option. I eat pretty well and don't pack many extra pounds -- so dieting is not on my list. I'm really very nice to most everyone I meet and I volunteer for lots of good causes -- I just can't get any better. And, I'm modest and extremely humble (to a fault).

Yet, every year end, I find myself thinking the same thoughts.

Next year I will [fill in the blank] and I will definitely make sure I [fill in the blank] before next new year's eve. But alas, time marches on and things happen as they happen. So, this year, instead of the usual list of unattainable goals, I have come up with a doable set of resolutions. Feel free to steal it. 

If I'm happy and I know it, I will clap my hands.
If I'm happy and I know it, I will clap my hands.
If I'm happy and I know it (and I really want to show it) If I'm happy and I know it, I will clap my hands.

I will also stomp my feet and nod my head.
I will draw the line at shouting Hoorah. I'm much too classy for that.

And, if I have the time...

I will put my right foot in.
I will take my right foot out.
I will put my right foot in.
And I will shake it all about.

I will not put my left foot, hands, shoulders, legs, hips, or whole self in (or out) - except perhaps on a weeknight in May.

But...

I will do the Hokey Pokey.
And I will turn myself around.
Because, that is what it's all about.

Happy New Year!

No... Really.