Thaw

by Andrea Mulder-Slater

I've opened up an Etsy shop (andreamsart.etsy.com) to showcase some of my artwork and  I'd like to share some paintings with you, starting with this one.

"Thaw" is an original abstract, painted with acrylic paint and molding paste on a 24" x 36" gallery style (2" deep) canvas. The edge of the painting has also been painted so it is ready to hang as is, or you can have it framed.

Here it is, from the front...

 
And here is what it might look like in your home, if your home has cement coloured walls, wood floors, a Scandinavian style table, linen-covered chairs and a lovely decorated bowl.


And this is what it would look like if you walked up - nice and close - to have a better look.



View this painting on Etsy: 


While I have your attention, from time to time, I've been asked my abstract painting process, so I thought I'd share a little bit of that with you today by showing you some (sort of) step-by-step photos of my "Thaw" painting.

I began by thickly applying some molding paste on the canvas using a palette knife. Then, I started to add some phthalo blue.


While I was mixing colors, the 5 year old stepped in to add a dash of turquoise in the lower left corner. I decided to run with it and continued to add more shades of blue along the bottom of the piece, after the following photo was taken.


But then, I stepped out of the studio and came back to this...


Don't get me wrong, I prefer to work alone when it comes to making art. 
 However, wet paint is pretty forgiving and so I try not to get too uptight when the littlest one decides to "help".

I took this.
And changed it to this.
 What follows now, is many hours, many palette knives full of paint and many brushstrokes, squeezed into a handful of photographs.






Thanks for looking!

View this painting on Etsy: