That time I was discovered...

by Andrea Mulder-Slater

I was sitting at the downtown art studio, on one of the comfy Adirondack chairs. The sun was low in the sky - the day drawing to a close. 

I had dragged the chair to the side of the studio, so it faced the ocean. And, as it had been a rather warm day, a large bottle of Evian water was sitting on the ground next to me.

As I contemplated whether or not to lock up a little early, a man wandered around the corner. 

He glanced at me - several times - before gazing out on the view. Then he turned around, looked me up and down and asked if I would be okay with him taking a few photographs. 

Here's what I thought: "Photos? Of me? I'm being discovered! This is just like in the movies!"

Here's what I said: "Sure, okay."


"I'll be back in a bit with my equipment," he said, "I hope you don't mind waiting."


As soon as he disappeared from sight, I headed for the washroom to make sure I had no lettuce in my teeth. 

Then, I waited.

When the man came back carrying a pile of professional equipment, I knew this was serious. I felt the need to rustle up an entourage.

While he set up his giant camera, I asked, "Where should I sit, or do you want me to stand?" 

He looked at me - strangely - and told me it didn't really matter to him either way.

Of course! I thought. He wants to get some candid shots, you know, to capture my natural beauty.

Then, he asked me where the Evian bottle went. I told him I had cleaned up "the set" and put it in the trash. 

That's when things got weird.

The photographer insisted on having the water bottle back where it was -  next to the Adirondack chair, outside.

I obliged and watched as the pro got down on the ground, directed his lens out the door and starting clicking like crazy - without me in the frame.

It was then that the subject of his shot became abundantly clear. 

It was the Evian bottle, with the ocean as a backdrop.

So. Very. Deflated.

No, really.

Then again, in case you're wondering why the modeling career never panned out... read THIS.