See it work

by Andrea Mulder-Slater

I love Dick and Jane books. 

I loved them when I was a kid and I love them now that I am teaching the 5 year old how to read.

Yesterday, I was in the office, busy writing about another one of my brushes with the medical community, when I heard my daughter reading aloud in the living room. 

She was going through a book we had recently purchased at a library sale. 

Then, I had a slow-motion conversation inside my head -- because, look at this.


Um... what exactly is this story about?


Oh shit. Did I accidentally buy a Dick and Jane parody book?


WHAT can work for her? Good lord Dick!


That's when I sprung into action.
 
I rushed to the living room, distracted the 5 year old with a box of raisins and grabbed the reader in time to see this...


I love Dick and Jane books.

No, really.