2, 4, 6, 8 - How do you procrastinate?

By Andrea Mulder-Slater

My mom offered to take the girl to the aquarium today.

A welcome gesture considering... I have an online quiz to take before Monday, two assignments due next Wednesday and a blog entry about needles (syringes - don't ask) that should have been posted days ago. Meanwhile, because I have delusions of grandeur, I am applying for a freelance job - the rather unusual application of which needs to be submitted by month's end. Oh yeah, then there's KinderArt.com.

I was all set to get to work and say goodbye to the girls when... it happened.

"Are you coming too mommy?"

I wanted to say no. I wanted to explain to my daughter that I was just too busy to accompany her and her nana to what she believes to be the coolest place on earth.

"I can pick up a starfish and give it to you moooooommmmmy." 

By this point I'm fairly certain that my 3 year old is psychic. Certainly, she knows how to manipulate me.

Life is short - I thought to myself. And with that, I switched off my computer and grabbed my jacket.

In this case, procrastinating was a wise decision.

Fun was had by all and - as it turns out - holding sea creatures is a terrific stress reliever - for me anyway.

For the starfish, urchins and sea cucumbers living in a touch tank however, stress takes on a whole new meaning.

Okay - now back at it... right after this cup of coffee.

No, really.